Frog has partnered with Pioneer! Providing the best AC repair, electrical & plumbing services in Nashville. We look forward to serving you.

Frog has partnered with Pioneer! Learn more >

Learn more >
Menu 615.657.4351

Serving Greater Nashville

A+

ACCREDITED BUSINESS

4.8

Based on 2000+ Reviews
Blog

Carbon Monoxide: What You Need To Know

As a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas, carbon monoxide (CO) can be an invisible threat to your family’s health and safety. Similar only in name to the life-supporting molecule carbon dioxide (CO2), carbon monoxide can be deadly in an enclosed area if inhaled in large amounts.

In fact, each year, at least 430 people die in America from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. In smaller doses, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause dizziness, nausea, blurry vision and weakness.

Though more commonly associated with fires and automobile emissions, carbon monoxide can be generated by various household appliances, such as your furnace, water heater, stove, or charcoal grill—especially if they are not in good working condition or have been installed improperly.

Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented with the right technology and by taking a few important precautionary measures. To protect you and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s important to schedule annual maintenance visits and install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Similar to a standard smoke detector, a carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm if a specific level is detected. Ideally, you should have one detector adjacent to every living area in your home.

Here are some other ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the CDC:
  • Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.
  • Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in a garage or partially enclosed space. The same applies to generators, pressure washers, or any gasoline-powered engine that’s less than 20 feet from an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into the enclosed area. Also, avoid using a charcoal grill, portable camping stove, hibachi, or lantern inside a home.
  • As a general rule, never run a generator or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented.
  • In the event that carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, consult a health care professional immediately.

Of course, as with any other system, carbon monoxide detectors are most effective when used in combination with preventative HVAC maintenance by a trusted professional.

Sleep Soundly
Frog Heating & Air’s certified technicians have the skills and expertise to install and maintain your carbon monoxide detector, protecting you and your family from serious health consequences. To schedule your consultation or to speak with one of our team members, get in touch with us or call (615) 657-4351 today!

Comments are closed.

Related Posts


frog air plumbing services

Why Frog Heating, Air, Electrical, & Plumbing Provides the Best AC Tune-Ups in Nashville, TN


Frog Heating Air, Electrical, & Plumbing offers some of the best AC tune-ups in Nashville, TN. As summer approaches, ensuring ...

Read More
H V A C Technician performing maintenance on air ducts

Looking for a Professional & Reliable Electrician in Nashville, TN? Consider Frog Heating, Air, Electrical, & Plumbing!


If you are a homeowner looking for a professional and reliable electrician in Nashville, Tennessee, consider scheduling electrical services with ...

Read More

Request Appointment

Our Brands

The skilled HVAC technicians from Frog Heating, Air, Electrical, & Plumbing are equipped to service AC units, heaters, and more from Trane, Goodman, Carrier and many other brands:

Frogair Partner Trane HVAC Company Logo
Frogair Partner Goodman HVAC Company Logo
Frogair Partner Carrier HVAC Company Logo
/* */