Plugging It All Together for a Safe Season
Between the sprinklers, the pool and the garden hose, summer and water go hand in hand. But there are two things that don’t mix this time of year: water and electricity.
May is National Electrical Safety Month, making now the perfect time to talk about your electrical system. As we protect our customers’ homes with trusted electrical services in Nashville, TN, we want to share some safety tips with you. There’s no such thing as being too cautious this time of year—especially when there are children playing outside in the water.
Here’s “Watt” You Should Do:
- Keep any toys that operate on electricity far away from water at all times. In addition, never touch an electrical toy when you are wet or submerged in water.
- Always assume that all power lines are live and dangerous. If there is a downed power line in your neighborhood, call the utility company and don’t let anyone approach it. Don’t allow children to climb trees located near power lines.
- When lightning strikes or a thunderstorm is approaching, have everyone evacuate the pool until the storm subsides.
- Ensure that all electrical connections to pools and hot tubs are properly grounded.
- Have an electrician install ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets for any outdoor outlets. The watertight covers will help prevent someone from getting an electric shock—or worse. You should also have GFCI outlets installed indoors near any water-prone areas such as the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Our electricians can show you which type of outlets to put in each location for the highest level of protection.
- Always know where your circuit breakers are. If there’s ever an emergency, you’ll want to turn off the power quickly.
- Have an electrician inspect your pool and hot tub at the start of each season to ensure everything is safe and up to code.
- If you are using extension cords outdoors, make sure they are designated for outdoor use.
Keep Your Electric Up to Date With Frog
As technology continues to develop, so do our power needs. If your electrical panel hasn’t been replaced in years, it may be time to make the switch. Our electricians can take a close look at your panel and determine if it can adequately handle your power needs. We know exactly what to look for and will give you peace of mind that your electric is in a good place. If your panel is outdated and poses a risk, we’ll replace it with one that’s safer and more efficient. In addition to panel replacements, we’re your one-stop solution for every electrical need, including:
- Electrical repairs
- Electrical service installation
- LED lighting
- Surge protection
- Smoke detectors
Power Your Pad Safely With the Experts
Where would we be today without electricity? There’s no question that it makes our lives easier. That being said, you should never sacrifice safety for convenience. Always be mindful of your electrical system and take extra precautions during the summertime. And if you need a trusted electrician for electrical repair services in Brentwood, TN, and throughout the Greater Nashville area, our team is trained, qualified and here to help.
To schedule service for your home, call Frog Heating, Air & Electrical at 615.823.3965 or contact us online today.