Menu 615.823.3965 Request Service

Serving Greater Nashville

Blog

These 9 CO Safety Tips Will Help Keep Your Family Safe

Carbon Monoxide Is an Invisible, Odorless Menace

Most of us are aware that carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can sicken and kill. When we think about carbon monoxide poisoning, we often think about poorly ventilated garages and vehicle exhaust. So you might be surprised to learn that your heating system and some other household appliances can be sources of carbon monoxide gas, too.

Carbon monoxide is insidious because it’s odorless and invisible. It kills about 400 people each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. At Frog Heating, Air & Electrical, we take great pains to make sure your heating unit is operating efficiently, affordably and—most important of all— safely. Our heating and cooling services in Nashville, TN, provide an extra layer of protection when it comes to keeping your heating system properly regulated and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Car Exhaust Is Only the Beginning

In addition to your vehicles, your furnace, kerosene heater, generator, gas stove, water heater, gas or charcoal grill, camp lantern/stove or gas-powered small appliance can generate carbon monoxide. You and your family are most vulnerable when ventilation is poor, but keeping windows and doors open is no guarantee that you will not be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.

The odds of being stricken are higher in the winter. Babies, the elderly and people with breathing problems are particularly vulnerable.

Pay Close Attention to the Symptoms

If you experience any of these symptoms, you should call 911 or the Poison Control Center, evacuate your home and get medical attention right away:

  • Fatigue, nausea or vomiting
  • Severe and persistent dizziness or headaches
  • Weakness, shortness of breath or confusion
  • Loss of consciousness

If you experience relief from these symptoms when you leave your house, this is a strong indication that carbon monoxide is present in your home.

Educate Yourself—and Act

You don’t want yourself or someone you love to become a carbon monoxide poisoning statistic. Here are nine ways to protect your household from this silent killer:

  1. Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors on every level. Make sure the batteries are working.
  2. If the CO monitor alarms continuously, leave immediately and call 911. If it alarms intermittently, install fresh batteries.
  3. Evacuate immediately and call the Poison Control Center if you experience symptoms of CO poisoning.
  4. Make sure your heating system is inspected regularly. (The experienced team at Frog will be happy to help with this.)
  5. Schedule routine inspections for appliances powered by gas, oil, wood or coal.
  6. Don’t use your grill, generator or any gas-powered or charcoal-powered device inside the house or garage. Don’t buy into the idea that opening windows or doors will keep you safe. Make sure your generator is at least 20 feet away from your home when you use it.
  7. Don’t run your car inside your garage, even with the doors open.
  8. Don’t use your gas stove as a heat source.
  9. Make sure your fireplace is properly ventilated.

The team at Frog is committed to keeping homes safe, cozy and comfy. We’re the go-to contractor when you need a top-notch heating and cooling expert or a superior residential electrician in Nashville. To schedule your appointment or find out more about us, call Frog Heating, Air & Electrical at 615.823.3965 or contact us online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts


Want to Improve Your Home’s Resale Value?


Check Out Upgrades You Should (and Shouldn’t) MakeMaybe it’s too big. Maybe it’s too small. Maybe ...

Read More

Leave Fireworks Shows—And AC Repairs—to the Experts


Your Friends at Frog Want You to Stay Safe It’s almost time to light up the skies in celebration ...

Read More