Careful Planning Helps Avoid Dangerous Disasters
From Christmas to Hanukkah to Kwanzaa and more, December is a month filled with special holiday observances and celebrations. There are sumptuous meals to be shared, meaningful stories to be read, special songs to be sung and lasting memories to be made. And, of course, there are decorations. Very often, lots and lots of decorations.
Your friends at Frog Heating, Air and Electrical—the team you trust for residential lighting services in Brentwood, TN, and throughout the area—would like to remind you that it’s important to put the safety of your family and friends at the forefront when choosing and putting up holiday decorations, especially when the displays include open flames.
Here are some tips to keep in mind as you deck the halls:
- Lights. Whether you’re using indoor or outdoor lights, you need to make sure they’re safe. Always look for a label indicating the lights have been tested by an independent laboratory. In addition, examine each strand—even newly purchased ones—to check for loose connections, frayed wires, cracked bulbs and faulty sockets. If the lights are damaged, toss them out or make sure they’re properly repaired. Never use more than three single strands of lights for each extension cord. Make sure to turn off all lights when you leave the house or go to sleep.
- Candles. Never use candles to decorate a tree and never use evergreens as accents around candles. Place candles out of reach of children and in places where they can’t be tipped over. In addition, keep them away from wrapping paper, decorations and other flammable items. Make sure the candleholders are nonflammable.
- Fires. Before lighting a fire, make sure any decorations are moved away from the fireplace. Make sure the flue is open and always use a screen to protect embers from reaching carpets, furniture and other flammable material.
- Trees. When buying an artificial tree, make sure it is fire resistant. When buying a real tree, make sure it is as fresh as possible because drier trees are more likely to be fire hazards. Look for trees with needles that are green and supple and trunks rich with resin. Steer clear of trees with brown or brittle needles. Keep a live tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces and radiators. Keep the tree well watered.
- “Snow.” If inhaled, fake snow can irritate your lungs. When using “snow” sprays to decorate, always read the label and follow the directions.
During the holidays and throughout the year, the trained electricians at Frog can assist you with your lighting and other electrical services in Nashville, TN, and beyond, including electrical repairs, electrical installations, electrical panels and surge protection. Our technicians are fully licensed and properly trained to handle it all. No task is too complicated or too small.
Happy holidays from our family to yours!
Our hope at Frog Heating, Air & Electrical is that your holidays are filled with joy, peace and love. We care about this community because we’re part of this community. We will work tirelessly to provide our customers with the finest services, quality workmanship and the best products at affordable prices. Call us today at 615.823.3965 or reach out to us through the web to request a quote or schedule heating, cooling, electrical or air quality services.